All over the UK, people have started harvesting gluts of unwanted fruit in their area. We've shared some information, but each group is individual.Welcome to Abundance.
Starting a group
Starting a group can be very satisfying. It’s quite easy to bring a few people together to do an occasional pick, more work to create a larger group that endures. There are a few key things that you need to do. Here are our ten key things you need to do to get started:
- Find 3 or 4 people
- Discuss what you want to do and how you’ll work together
- Tools (You can use a telescopic pole with a basket but we recommend a pole with a hook so you can shake the tree!)
- Sheet or tarpaulin
- Find a fruit bearing tree!
- Have a think about what to do with the harvested fruit
- Transport of fruit – pedal power, bike baskets, walking
- Strong boxes – Ask for them or borrow them from your local supermarket or shop
- Leaflet to recruit volunteers – have a look at our resources to see if there’s any useful content
- Get picking!
What 6 groups did in 2011
Shaking the tree
A video about the Kensal to Kilburn Fruit Harvesters group (4 mins).